Monday, March 15, 2010

Isaiah and the Book of Mormon

When I was a sophomore in High School I was reading through the Old Testament of the Bible, having challenged myself to complete it before the year was over. There are some wonderful things, some funny things, and some very strange things in there. I was enjoying myself immensely (except for the lineage lists). When I came to Isaiah though, I felt as if I had been in the desert all day and suddenly was given cool, clean water to drink. It sated something deep inside me I'd never recognized before. I didn't understand everything I was reading there, but it struck a cord with me.

I went on to finish the Old Testament just before the year ended, which made me quite happy. During the summer I decided to again read the Book of Mormon, and I found as I began studying that wonderful book that I had the same feeling that had come over me when I encountered Isaiah months before. All scripture is wonderful and can bless us immensely, but I feel that God was showing me through these experiences that those two books were important for me to seriously consider, deeply and often. What a blessing the scriptures can be if we use them as God intended!

No comments:

Post a Comment